School districts love to tout increasing graduation rates. This good news often shields the public from the staggering facts and statistics about school dropouts.
This infographic provides shocking details about the impact school dropouts have on the world. We underscore 5 scary things you don’t know, but the infographic sheds more light on a crisis that seems to be overlooked by many education shareholders.
5 Scary Things About School Dropouts
- 7,000 students drop out of school every single day. That’s more than 1 million yearly.
- School dropouts are qualified for only about 10 percent of all jobs.
- School dropouts cost the economy more than 150 billion dollars. This unfathomable hit comes from school dropouts’ lost wages, taxes and productivity over a lifetime.
- A whopping 87 percent of school dropouts have experienced homelessness at some point of their lives.
- 79 percent of school dropouts have a parent who has been incarcerated at some time during the school dropouts’ lives.
Find more education infographics on e-Learning Infographics
Please share your thoughts on the crisis of school dropouts and any suggestions you have to solve this incredible problem.
The following two tabs change content below.
Mark Barnes is the Founder of Times 10 Publications, which produces the popular Hack Learning Series
, The uNseries
, and other books from some of education's most reputable teachers and leaders. Barnes presents internationally on assessment, connected education, and Hack Learning. Connect with @markbarnes19 on Twitter